A healthy and sustainable environment is possible.
Pollution is killing us and making us sick. Over 9600 people die from air pollution in London every year. Our local kids play under the Westway and asthma in London caused by urban environment is on the rise. Schools, particularly near the Westway, are pollution problem areas. The Lancet published a study this year showing that due to air pollution people who live near major roads are 12% more likely to get Alzheimer’s than those who do not.
We need a programme of short-term and long-term solutions to improve the quality of our air. This is a complex problem that will requires engagement from the community and collaboration to change the statue quo. We need to work with experts to find innovative solutions to the problems and improve local knowledge and understanding.
- Provide filtration systems in classrooms.
- Provide monitors for levels of pollution, so that we know when children can play outside.
- Work with Mayor’s office to fast track clean air schemes for local schools particularly those near the Westway to advocate for London to put up barriers that reduce pollution in the area surrounding the A40.
- Support cyclists by working with the London Mayor and TfL to create Kensington and Chelsea cycle superhighways.
- Provide electric parking facilities.
- Encourage the #noidling campaign and enforcement.